A long time military man, Dr. Freeman retired as a full colonel from the Army after many years of service active duty and reserves. He was a partner at the Redding Radiological Associates during much of his reserve military career, continuing his craft as an independent contractor at several facilities until his death in 2018.
An Avid gardener and landscaper who kept his garden and fruit trees in tip top shape producing delicious produce for his family and friends for years. A dedicated hunter, fisherman, hiker and walker, he traveled far and wide enjoying many beautiful outdoor areas around the globe. During his semi-retirement he also enjoyed dog trials and bird hunting with his Brittney spaniels.
Much of his career was spent in training other physicians, a task he greatly enjoyed. He was a very strong proponent of education of all kinds and believed all should have access to the education of their choice.
The Jim Freeman, MD Scholarship was established to benefit and support Shasta County students pursuing a degree, certification, or licensing in the medical field focused on direct patient care.
Deadline: Wednesday, March 13th, 2024
Open Application Window: November – March, annually
- Graduating high school senior from Shasta County OR current college student
- Must have graduated from a high school in Shasta County
- Minimum cumulative GPA 3.0
- Must demonstrate financial need (verification required)
- Planning to obtain a degree, certification, or license in the medical field. *Must be focused on direct patient care
- Planning to attend a two- or four-year college or university the fall semester following application