With an outright gift, you transfer cash or other assets to the Community Foundation of the North State and receive an immediate tax benefit.
Accepted Asset Types
- Marketable securities, such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- Real estate
- Personal property and closely held assets
Gifts of Real Estate
We can help you turn a low-yield asset into a high-yield legacy.
Here’s how it works:
- As a separate 501(c)(3) organization, the Shasta Regional Community Real Estate Foundation will assess the real property you would like to donate for compliance with our acceptance policies.
- We facilitate administrative details including appraisals, inspections, and title work.
- The net proceeds of your donated real property can be invested in a fund at the Community Foundation of the North State or with a non-profit of your choice.
There are three ways to donate real estate:
- Give property outright
- Establish a Life Estate
- Create a Charitable Remainder or Lead Trust
Donations that may qualify:
- Apartment building
- Vacation home
- Commercial building
- Undeveloped land
Board of Directors
Ryan Haedrich, Chair
Brian Meek, Vice-Chair
Jeff Finck, Treasurer
John Dues, Andy Duff, Bill Haedrich, Luke Miner, Bill Wright, Kerry Caranci
Planned Gift Through Your Will
The Community Foundation of the North State can ensure that your charitable intentions are met long after your lifetime.
Including a charitable bequest in your will is a simple way to make a lasting gift to your community. When you make this type of gift through the Community Foundation, we can establish a fund that will be managed by your heirs or overseen by the Community Foundation. Your gift can be endowed so that it benefits the community forever and becomes your personal legacy of giving.
Life Insurance Policy/Retirement Plan
At the time of a person’s passing, balances in individual retirement accounts and retirement plans are included when figuring estate and income taxes to beneficiaries. Funding a charitable bequest with an IRA or retirement plan prevents the bequest from becoming a liability of your estate, and the gift is made with pre-tax dollars.
Planned Life Income Gift
If you are interested in generating a secure stream of income, reducing taxes, and helping the community with a charitable gift, the Community Foundation of the North State can work with you and your Professional Advisor to establish either a Charitable Gift Annuity or a Charitable Remainder Trust.
Charitable Lead Trust
A Charitable Lead Trust (CLT) is the reverse of the Charitable Remainder Trust. The Trust distributes income to a charity for a period of years or throughout your lifetime with the assets returning to you, or more typically, to family members. The CLT allows you to make a significant gift to charity and transfer assets to family members with reduced or no gift and estate taxes.
Charitable Remainder Trust
A Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT) is a common and effective estate planning tool designed to reduce the taxable income of individuals. A donor may use a CRT to disperse income to the trust beneficiaries (such as a spouse or other family member) for a specified period and donates the remainder to the designated charity.
Gift Acceptance Policy
Please contact our office for a copy of the Gift Acceptance Policy by calling 530-244-1219 or emailing email@example.com
Grant From Your Fund
Donor Advisors to funds at the Community Foundation may submit this form to designate a grant to an organization for specified purposes.
Open a Fund
Options to consider for establishing a personalized fund at the Community Foundation of the North State
Donor Advised Fund - Stay Involved
Donors make a charitable contribution, receive an immediate tax benefit, and then recommend grants over time. An excellent
alternative to private foundations
A personalized Donor Advised Fund at the Community Foundation of the North State gives you flexibility with your philanthropy. As a donor advisor, you can work with our professional program staff to suggest ongoing uses for the fund—targeting the issues and
organizations you care about most – locally, nationally or internationally. It’s a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to giving.
How You Benefit
- You receive immediate tax benefits and can give over time receiving tax benefits with each new gift.
- Gifts from your fund will be made in your name, the name of your fund or anonymously if you prefer.
- The Community Foundation of the North State manages all of the paperwork, while you enjoy the highest level of charitable tax benefit and the rewards of giving back.
- Your assets grow through investment, allowing you to give more.
- You can endow your fund as a legacy in perpetuity.
Donor Designated – Targeted Ongoing Support
With a Community Foundation of the North State Designated Fund, you direct support to one or more specific organizations that have touched your life.
Endowing a Designated Fund establishes a long-term funding source for an organization through grants over a set number of years or in perpetuity. Your gift provides funding as well as the stability that comes with ongoing support and investment stewardship.
How You Benefit
- You receive immediate tax advantages.
- Your fund is managed by the Community Foundation’s knowledgeable, experienced staff.
- You have the option to endow your fund, allowing your gift to live on in perpetuity.
- If the organization you select ceases to exist or changes in mission, the fund will be redirected to a similar organization so that it continues to support your charitable wishes.
Organizational Endowment – Grow The Mission
An Organizational Fund allows organizations to establish a long-term funding source to enable them to continue their good work into the future.
- Create sustainability for your nonprofit organization.
- Organizations enjoy a professionally managed diverse investment portfolio and low investment fees.
- Our experienced staff can help your organization develop planned giving programs and may direct others to your organization’s work when we are independently approached by anonymous or interested donors.
- Your staff and volunteers can concentrate on fulfilling your mission.
Field of Interest Funds – Address Local Issues
Our field-of-interest areas target specific initiatives within Shasta, Siskiyou and Tehama counties.
In an effort to create positive community change, donors who share philanthropic priorities and resources support existing funds or create new funds. You can rely on the Community Foundation of the North State to identify organizations capable of making the greatest impact in the specific issue area or region of particular importance to you.
How You Benefit
- You receive an immediate tax deduction.
- Grants from your fund will be made to support the charitable goals of the specific area of interest.
- Your fund is managed by the Community Foundation’s knowledgeable staff.
Scholarships – Financial Assistance for Students
In creating a scholarship, you invest in our community’s future and show students you care.
The Community Foundation of the North State provides the expertise to help you meet your personal goals and awards scholarships to deserving students. Your gift can help students—from preschool to postgraduate—achieve their lifetime dreams.
- Create a scholarship as a memorial to someone special, selecting eligibility criteria that exemplify that person’s goals and values.
- Create a scholarship that expresses your educational values—or those of your family or business.
- Give a gift of any amount to the Community Scholarship Endowment in your name or the name of a loved one.
How You Benefit
- You receive an immediate tax benefit.
- You achieve your charitable goal of supporting students.
- You enjoy the reward of helping students while Community Foundation staff takes care of all administrative details, tracking student performance and ensuring they meet the terms of the scholarship.